This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes are a fun combination of pumpkin cake and pumpkin cheesecake, all in one easy-to-eat cupcake! They are super moist and totally addicting!
This post is sponsored by Challenge Dairy, but all opinions are my own.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Cupcakes Recipe
So lately I’ve been hooked on a new show. Summers are always kind of brutal for TV, so I turn to Netflix and such to get me through. One show that I know so many people love that I never even tried to watch was Grey’s Anatomy. I’m not sure why, it just had never appealed to me.
Well, summer tv got bad enough towards the end that I finally caved. I figured it’d be good to get me through to the start of the new seasons of everything. Now the joke’s on me because I’m totally hooked! All my shows are coming back on and I’m totally uninterested because I’m in love with Meredith and Derek. I’m now in season 8 and the only show I’m really willing to take a break from it for for is Outlander. The binging is real and totally a problem.
Speaking of binging, these cupcakes are totally bing-worthy as well. Not only is pumpkin one of the best parts of fall, they combine both cake and cheesecake into one – with such little effort! How could you resist? Why would you want to?!
How to Make Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes
These cupcakes start with the cupcake and cheesecake base. The cheesecake mixture and cake mixture are both made separately and then layered into the cupcake liners. Because I’m a fan of more layers, there’s three layers of cake and two layers of cheesecake in each one. Ultimately you end up with a nice amount of cheesecake swirled through the cupcakes so every bite ensures you get both.
Of course these cupcakes use both Challenge Butter and Cream Cheese. They are both such great quality dairy products. The butter is 100% real cream and farm to fridge in two days. It really is so creamy! I always love that when I soften it to room temperature to bake with, I can really tell just how creamy it is and it stays that way, unlike other brands.
The Challenge Cream Cheese was also used in the classic cream cheese frosting on top. It’s as close to homemade as it gets with nothing artificial and no added hormones. I’m a big fan! The frosting itself is a simple classic with a touch of cinnamon to compliment the spices in the cupcake. I love the addition of it to the cupcakes! I used a little less frosting per cupcake than I normally do just because there’s so much awesomeness in the cupcake, I didn’t want the frosting to over power it.
The final cupcakes scream fall and are a such a great way to get your fix of two things – cake and cheesecake – all at once! They are fairly easy to put together and a great treat for sharing for the holidays! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
These Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Cupcakes are a combination of moist pumpkin cake and creamy pumpkin cheesecake. Perfect for a fun and festive fall dessert!
- 6 ounces (170g) Challenge Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (52g) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (43g) sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (56g) Challenge Unsalted Butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) milk, room temperature
- 1 cup (108g) light brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (179g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (233g) canned pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces (113g) Challenge Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (28g) Challenge Salted Butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (230g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. To make the cheesecake filling, add the cream cheese and sugar to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
4. Add the egg white and beat until well combined. Set mixture aside.
5. To make the cupcake batter, add the butter, oil and milk to another large mixer bowl and whisk until smooth.
6. Add the brown sugar and whisk until well combined.
7. Add the vanilla extract and eggs and whisk until well combined.
8. In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt.
9. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until well combined.
10. Fold in the pumpkin puree until well combined.
11. Add 1 tablespoon of cupcake batter to the bottom of each cupcake liner, spreading it so that it covers the bottom.
12. Add 1/2 a tablespoon of the cheesecake filling to the center of the batter.
13. Add another tablespoon of cupcake batter and another half tablespoon of cheesecake batter.
14. Top the cupcakes with another tablespoon of cupcake batter, then swirl everything around with a toothpick.
15. Bake the cupcakes for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs.
16. Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling. The centers may fall a bit as they cool, which is ok. It’s from the cooling of the cheesecake layers.
17. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter together in a large mixer bowl until well combined and smooth.
18. Add the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
19. Add the cinnamon and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
20. Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 844.
21. Refrigerate the cupcakes until ready to serve. Cupcakes are best when stored well covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 26 g
- Sodium: 171.5 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 45.8 mg
Keywords: pumpkin cheesecake cupcakes, cheesecake pumpkin cupcakes